A delicious fishcake made with fresh smoked haddock and served with a hot chili sauce. Created by The Hebridean Baker
Serves 2 / Cooking time: 30 Minutes
- 6oz Stonington Finnan Haddie.
- 1lb of Potatoes
- 1 small onion chopped.
- 1 red Chili Pepper
- ½ tbsp plain flour
- 10 fl oz Whole Milk
- 2 Eggs
- 2-3 Cups Hamlyn's Pinhead Oatmeal
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley.
- Peel and chop potatoes before boiling them in salted water.
- Dice the onion and chilli then put them into a frying pan with a tablespoon of oil on a low heat.
- When the onion and chilli has softened, mix in the plain flour. When the flour is incorporated, stir in the milk. Bring the heat up slightly so that the milk simmers.
- When the milk has begun to simmer, place in your smoked haddock and cook for 5 minutes.
- When the potatoes are cooked, drain and dry them. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and one egg. Then, mash this together.
- Strain the haddock from the milk and blend the milk to create a thick sauce.
- Flake the haddock into the potatoes and mix together to create your fishcake mix. Divide this mixture into four and shape them into patties.
- Get two bowls. Crack the egg into one bowl and whisk it. Put the oatmeal into the other bowl.
- Dip the fish cakes into the egg, making sure that each patty is covered, before generously covering in oatmeal.
- Fry the fishcakes on a medium heat for five minutes on each side.
- Serve by pouring the hot chilli-milk sauce over the top.