Oronsay is an island only 3 miles long in the Inner Hebrides, North of the islands of Islay and Jura. A tidal causeway, known as the Strand, connects to the northerly island of Colonsay. Safe passage is made for 2 hours either side of low tide.
The island changed ownership many times over the centuries. An Augustinian priory was built on the island in the 14th century. Closed two centuries later following the Scottish Reformation the ruins remained well preserved but much restoration has been done.
Oronsay House was built in 1772. Architect, Ike Colburn, from Boston bought Oronsay in 1984 . A passionate gardener, he had the walled garden fully restored. The island is farmed with sheep and cattle and is an official nature reserve. The island teems with birds especially corncrakes that fly from the Congo to summer on the island.
Approximate Size: 80"* x 60" (l x w) * includes fringes 3 1/2" long