Christmas Casserole...enough said! This is so absolutely yummy. Perfect for a chilly Christmas time evening!
Mrs Bridges Christmas Casserole
- 1kg lean beef cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large onion, peeled & chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled & finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 3 tablespoons Mrs Bridges Christmas Chutney
- 600ml beef stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 ready-to-eat prunes (chopped) 50g dried cranberries
- 150g white mushrooms, thickly sliced
- Ground Salt and Black Pepper to Season
1. Preheat the oven to 130 °c, 275 °F, Gas 1. Or alternatively, this dish can be made in the slow cooker.
2. Prepare the meat and toss in corn flour and ground black pepper. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and add the meat in batches and brown. Once browned, move to a casserole dish, or your slow cooker dish.
3. Once all the meat is browned, add the onion, garlic, orange zest, celery, tomato puree, herbs, Worcestershire sauce and Mrs Bridges Chutney to the pan. Stir to coat, then add the stock. Bring to a simmer over a low heat.
4. Once simmering, add in the dried fruit and sliced mushrooms and stir to combine. Bring back to a simmer, then transfer all the ingredients to an oven proof dish (with a lid) or the slow cooker.
5. Cook for 2 hours in the oven or 4-5 hours on high, in the slow cooker, until the meat is tender.
6. Serve with creamy mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetables.