Two Scottish islands are named Soay, which comes from Old Norse language , meaning "Island of Sheep". One of the six islands of the St. Kilda archipelago, 40 miles West of the Outer Hebrides, is called Soay, a 245 acre island that rises over 1200ft above sea level. The Soay sheep is a breed of domestic sheep descended from a population of feral sheep found on the St Kilda archipelago. St. Kilda had been inhabited for over 2 millenia but the remaining population of chose to evacuate to the mainland in 1930, never to return. In 1986 St. Kilda became an UNESCO World Heritage Site. Many of the bothy like houses remain there today.
The other Soay is located at the mouth of Loch Scavaig in the shadow of the Cuillin mountain range on the Isle of Skye. In the mid 19th century 150 people lived on the island. In 1946, author, Gavin Maxwell (Ring of Bright Water), bought the island and established a factory to process shark oil from basking sharks. The enterprise lasted just three years. Today there are only 3 hardy folks who are often cut off from the mainland for weeks on end during the long during the winter months.
Approximate Size: 80"*x 60" (l x w) * includes 3 1/2" fringes