More correctly spelled in Gaelic, Rùm it is the largest of the Small Isles of the Inner Hebrides, comprising Rùm, Eigg, Muck and Canna. For much of the 20th century the name became Rhum, a spelling invented by the former owner, Sir George Bullough, because he did not relish the idea of having the title "Laird of Rum". The distinctive mountains of Rùm, named after Norse invaders, rise 2500 ft above sea level and served as significant navigational aids to early seafarers.
It is inhabited by around thirty people, all of whom live in the hamlet of Kinloch on the East coast. The island has been inhabited since the 8th millennium BC and provides some of the earliest known evidence of human occupation in Scotland. The early Celtic and Norse settlers left only a few written accounts and artefacts. From the 12th to 13th centuries on, the island was held by various clans including the MacLeans of Coll. The population grew to over 400 by the late 18th century but was cleared of its indigenous population between 1826 and 1828. About 300 of the inhabitants boarded two overcrowded ships bound for Cape Breton in Nova Scotia. Sheep farming was predominant until 1888 when the island was sold to John Bullough, a cotton machinery manufacturer from Lancashire. The island then became a sporting estate, Kinloch Castle being constructed by his son, George, in 1900. Rum was purchased by the Nature Conservancy Council in 1957.
Approximate Size: 76" x 53" (l x w)