As the festivities pick up and homes are bursting with company you will certainly be grateful to have warm supper prepared and ready to offer hungry guests! This is a spin on a classic roast that is truly a crowd pleasing dish! You can thank us later for this amazing concoction! Just make sure to toast your favorite bread and pop open a beautiful bottle of red and you're all set!
Mrs Bridges Winter Beef Casserole
- 4 servings
- Olive oil and butter for frying
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 8 fresh sage leaves
- 800g stewing steak or beef skirt, cut into 5cm/2 inch pieces
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- flour, to dust
- 2 small parsnips, peeled and quartered
- 4 small carrots, peeled and halved
- ½ a butternut squash, halved, deseeded and roughly diced
- 250g small potatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 1 jar of Mrs Bridges Sweet Onion Chilli Relish
- ½ a bottle of red wine
- 285ml/½ pint beef or vegetable stock
1. Preheat the oven to 160ºC/300ºF/gas 2. Put a little oil and your knob of butter into an appropriately sized pot or casserole pan. Add your onion, sage leaves and fry 4 minutes.
2. Toss the meat in seasoned flour, then add it to the pan with all the vegetables, tomato purée, relish, wine and stock, and gently stir together. Season generously with freshly ground black pepper and just a little salt.
3. Bring to the boil, place a lid on top, and then cook in the preheated oven until the meat is tender 3-4 hours (when meat breaks up with a fork).
4. Great served with crusty bread.